Sunday, January 31, 2016

Boskydel Vineyards Leelanau Peninsula Vignoles, 2009

I had some Boskydel Vignoles bottles from 1982 that were drinking quite well in their second decade, and winemaker/owner Bernie Rink's response was, "Of course." I firmly believe (and Bernie believes even more firmly) that white wines from Michigan's Leelanau and Old Mission Peninsulas have the acid and fruit stuffing to age well...as long as they are not overly manipulated.

This 2009 Vignoles has matured nicely with broad aromas and flavors of green apple, citrus and minerals. But it has turned to a medium deep color, and I'm inclined to drink my last bottle sooner rather than later.

Debbie Simpson, owner of Good Harbor Wines a few miles away from Boskydel, told me that her Chardonnays seem to do very well after about five to seven years. That strikes me as a good drinking window, and I have one more bottle of the 2007 Good Harbor Chardonnay to test that hypothesis later this year. (Oops, now we're talking nine years, and I'm sure that the wine will past the test.) Sorry, but I just can't wait on the 2012 Pinot Grigio I bought at Good Harbor last summer; it's too good, right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment